Thursday, September 17, 2009

What we've been up to.....

My amazing friend Genis is
always looking out for us. She calls
to tell me of a great deal she's found, or
to get me really excited about food storage.
Last week she called about being able to get
a 25 lb. box of peaches for $12.50.
Can you believe that? Of course they
were seconds, but they were SO good &
really pretty. Yup, I said pretty!
Dan wanted to can them so we talked
to his Wonderful Mom into helping us
since we've never done it before.
Dan peeled & cut, which was good because they
were HOT! Lorie did pretty much
EVERYTHING, she peeled, cut, poured,
supervised. You name it, she did it! Also, thanks
to Liz for helping out, it was much appreciated. I
was a little nervous, but really enjoyed doing it.
This is our finished product!
Beautiful isn't it?!
We got 13 quarts & a good little
start on some food storage. Ok, so I've
already got a little stock pile, but none
of it is something I made!
I'm a little proud!

Next up is:
~pantry jam
(that's for Jo ;0)
~canned chicken

Thanks to a great deal on chicken ($1.29/lb.)
I will be attempting chicken!!!

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I am so jealous! If there are any peaches left wherever you got them, will you call me?

Jen Perkins said...

Those peaches look yummy! We did chicken for our first food storage project and I was surprised at how easy it was and it tastes way better than any canned chicken you buy at the store. Good luck!

The Papa's said...

Jen- they are SO good! I'm a little nervous about the chicken 'cuz I've never done it before. I've heard it tastes great though! Any tips?

Heather B said...

Wow, nice! I wish I could do something like that.

Sandi said...

I am impressed! Everyone here is madly canning chicken and I just sit back and watch and hope they will share..haha.
p.s. love the new pic!

The Papa's said...

Why thank you, I guess I'm not such a Utard after all! ;0) I'm not only doing it for food storage but also convenience. It's just easier to grab a can of chicken & make something out of it, ya' know what I mean?!

April said...

Chicken is sooooo easy!!! (and tasty) It lasts for over a year! Where is it $1.29??? I need to do more!