Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer.

Is it just me or does the summer seem to be flying right by?!?
I was not looking forward to the summer.
But how can I complain with having absolutely NO schedule to live by?!?
We've done lots of swimming, stayed up late, slept in late :), watched movies & have been reading LOTS of books to keep us busy.
We spent last night @ the temple.
We had a short lesson on the temple & then we walked around & took a few pics of the kids.
I'm shocked that they were both willing to let me practice.
(I'm still learning how to run my camera so that I can still feel good about spending that much $$$ :)
We've also started our "Summer Rewards Program".
It's something my Mom used to do with us when we were younger.
We started off with a little party & the kids have been pretty excited.
Which has made my life a bit easier. All I have to say is:
"if you do this you will get ___ points".
It works like a charm.
Here are some of the things we are having the kids work on:
Lucas:
*brush teeth (he does it 1x & then we do the other)
*get dressed by himself. no complaining.
*learn a new color.
(he knows quite a few now. pretty sure he struggles with greens & reds. should be interesting once he starts pre-school in the fall.)
*learn to count to 10 (almost there) & then to 20.

These are just a few of the things he can work on.
I've already seen some improvement in several areas.
Makes me happy!
Averi:
*Make bed everyday
*Water plants.
*Fold towels on laundry day.
*Bear testimony 1x during the summer.
*Provide a service for someone in need.
*2 days straight with out a bad attitude. (work in progress)
*Read @ least 30 minutes every day.
*Read to Lucas.


This has been great to help us pass the time & it gives us a bit of structure in our rather-unstructured schedule.
Happy Summer!

2 comments:

Annalisa said...

i love that idea. i will use it one day. i hope you don't mind that i read your blog...i think your family is super cute. give me your email and i'll invite you to mine, but i must warn you it isn't that exciting..love annalisa

Josh and Cori said...

What a good idea! Keeps their "school brains" functioning, and gets some of mom's housework done, while they don't even realize it because they are earning points for some wonderful "prize!" SWEET!